Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mending fences

© 2010 Joshua Stark

If you are looking for Frost, or writing of his caliber, I'm sorry for the disillusionment.  Last night, while sitting with my family through a particularly fierce storm, a tremendous crack-boom! echoed through our little cottage. 

This calculation occurs frequently in our synapses:  Rain + wind + 100 ft. redwood + crack-boom! =...?

In this case, Rain = 1.5 inches in less than a day, wind = 30 mph gusts.

Crack-boom! = 
For accuracy's sake, please note that the ducks are five feet tall...

 These were two separate branches, in reality each about 15-20 feet long.  The branches tore through the fence, and broke off our neighbors' gutter.

So, no duck hunting on this bright, shiny morning.  Instead, I'll be out mending fences.  On Monday, I'll be talking to the city officials about the possibility of removing a 100 foot-tall redwood.  If I get the go-ahead, I'll put it up on Craigslist's "free" section, if you are interested...

No comments: