Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One bowl oatmeal biscuits

© 2011 Joshua Stark

And by one bowl, I mean you don't take the dough out of the bowl until you put 'em on the cookie tray.

It's unrelated to my typical stuff (I didn't grow the oats or flour, milk the cow or mine the baking powder), but it worked out so well that I thought I'd write it down here.

First, the ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups flour (I use a half-&-half blend of whole wheat and unbleached)
1/2 Cup oatmeal
1/3 Cup vegetable oil (or butter)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 or so Cup yogurt

Next, directions:

Heat your oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit.
Cook your oatmeal according to their directions and let it cool (I use leftover oatmeal)
Add the oatmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and oil, and mix it together.
Add the 1/2 Cup of yogurt and mix it together.  The mixture should be wet dough - it comes together as a ball, but it's a bit slimy.
Cut 12 pieces out of the dough, one at a time, and put them on a baking sheet.

Cook them for 12-15 minutes.

No rolling, no kneading.  The oatmeal imparts some liquid and also makes it easier to shape on the cookie sheet, so they don't look like flour drop biscuits.  The oatmeal also makes the biscuits moist.

It's a good, simple recipe.  I hope you like it.

No comments: