Thursday, June 23, 2011

Friends and walnuts

© 2011 Joshua Stark

A few days ago, I was lucky enough to come upon a walnut tree with a good number of easy-to-reach, ready-to-pick green walnuts - that is: green, about the size they will reach when mature, and with no hard shell within the hull.

I picked about 100, and gave half to Hank Shaw.  He suggested we both pickle some with different recipes and compare notes.  Right now, my batch of knife-pricked walnuts is brining in a 1:5 (or so) salt-to-water recipe, which I'll shake every day (or so) for about 9 days.  After this time, I will pickle, so stay tuned.  Also, if you have any suggestions for a good pickled walnut recipe, let me know; though I've made ketchup and chutney, I've yet to just pickle 'em. 

And speaking of foraging, I've got a new member of my blogroll.  Author, forager, and fellow lover of the Sierra Nevada, Alicia Funk has an online presence:  The Living Wild Project, A Collaborative Native Plant Community.  Alicia puts it best:

"I want to invite you to participate in this collaborative site by adding your recipes and plant discoveries. It is essential that we work together to revive the living libraries of information on how to live sustainably with this land. This will provide independence, health and food security for our grandchildren."

When you get a chance, head on over and sign up to be a part of the conversation.  You will definitely see me there.

By the way, Alicia's book can be purchased here, and she's donating 100% of her profits. 

No comments: