Friday, December 17, 2010

Continuing with the bow

© 2010 Joshua Stark

We've got quite the rain coming down now, and we expect it to last a few days here.  Nothing as bad as back East, I hear, but it will keep us cooped up for a bit. 

However, I was able to get out to the workshop and shape the tips and handle of the bow I'm making for a present.  I also glued on the linen backing.  Linen is supposed to be a good backing for bows; it doesn't add any power to the limbs, but it keeps the wood from raising splinters.  Well, I glued it on (not my best gluing job, but I'm confident in it), trimmed it up some, and put a string on it.  And...

It bent!  And it didn't break!

This is my first bow, and I'm no pro, especially at finishing, but I think this one will be alright.  Here's a couple of pics:




It should be abundantly clear that I am no woodworker, nor do I play one on television...  However, this bow really seems like it will throw arrows, and for that I'm tickled pink (hence, the tiny slippers under the table).

Now, to make a string, and put a finish on this puppy.  Any suggestions?

No comments: