Sunday, June 27, 2010

When life knocks your walnuts out of the tree early...

© 2010 Joshua Stark

...you make green walnut ketchup and nocino.

At least, that's what I did.

More on this later, but I wanted to not here my big winner this time, so far, has been the green walnut chutney.  I took a page from the 18th Century cook's site, and took the dregs from the green walnut ketchup, added ginger, red pepper flakes, an apple, vinegar, raisins, and brown sugar, and stirred up some chutney, and dang if it isn't absolutely amazing.  I've also realized that I want to make other chutneys, because home-made (like most home-made things, and especially home-made things with good vinegar) chutney is much more subtle and flavorful, while still being pungent (and there's no better word).

It's gooooood.

1 comment: