Monday, October 12, 2009

Ponding?

As you might have seen from my last post, my ducks do some serious dirt-movin' in the yard. Now, with a few inches of rain predicted over the next couple of days, I'm just hoping they didn't do anything to our foundation (kidding).

So, pretty soon I will be building them a real pond, hopefully with enough gravel and river rocks around it to both lessen their desire to spit mud in the water, and also to keep down the type and severity of erosion seen below. It should be about 4 or 5 feet wide and 7 or 8 feet long, in a more aesthetically pleasing shape, and I hope to have a nice overflow section with some duck-resistant water plants (probably horsetail and tules). I won't buy a circulating pump, but will continue to suction out the pond every couple of days with the Pumps-A-Lot I wrote about a couple of months ago.

But, I would like to hear ideas for a duck-friendly pond that will also provide water for our garden, trees, and boysenberry. Let's hear 'em!

No comments: