Monday, March 18, 2019

Springing Spring has Sprung in Northern California... I need tips on keeping the mosquitos away!


Our lovely garden, with decorative dog-repelling wire fence material to make it look ugly, but keep the idiot dog out.
 Well, here in the Northern end of the Great Central Valley, Spring is upon us.  You can tell it's Spring if you live on the edge of the Delta because the mustard begins to bloom.  We have a flower just about all through Winter -- sourgrass, or oxalis -- but when the wild mustard (which is everywhere here, along with bull mallow) blooms, we are at Spring.  Soon after, the wild radish will bloom alongside it.

Last year, in preparation for the big shed and house projects we were expecting, I moved a few plants that would have been destroyed.  I've done very little transplanting in my life, and I'm always scared, so I did some Googling and YouTube video-watching to get tips and tricks... but without the confidence that comes from experience, I'm always a nervous wreck.

The plants were a calla lily, a couple of roses, and a Japanese maple.  I know all three are hardy plants, and I shouldn't have been so concerned with the outcome.  Still, the roses have been wonderful -- they were on the property when we moved here, and are huge (one of them had grown well over ten feet tall) -- and the Japanese maple was a Mother's Day present the kids and I had bought my wife a few years ago. These have history, and I didn't want to lose them.

After transplanting, the calla never stopped looking alive, and the roses shot new growth almost immediately.  But the maple didn't do anything for weeks.


These leaves emerged almost immediately after transplanting back in November.  We've got a happy rose under our bedroom window.

Last week, however, the maple began showing tiny signs of life:

Success!  Tiny new growth emerging from the tips of the maple tree.
Since I was successful at transplanting four established plants, I'm now an expert here on the interwebs.  So here's my process:

1) Dig a big hole;
2) Pour some kind of plant transplanting help juice/water mix into the dirt left from the hole;
3) Dig out your plant, sweating and nervously chuckling at the horrible crunching and cracking sounds;
4) Put the plant into the first hole (not the second hole, that was made where you took it out, remember?);
5) Fill around the new plant with the dirt/transplanting help juice/water mix;
6) Pray and be nervous for 6-8 weeks.

I hope you gain something from my now publishable experience and expertise.

Something else that pops up in Spring is my archery class here in West Sacramento:

My backstop could use a dye job.

Sadly, we also get to deal with the perennial invasion of many, many mosquitoes.  My son gets especially large welts from some of them, but they are no fun for the rest of us, either.  What I need are tips for reducing/eliminating/fending off mosquitoes that don't involve bug spray directly on us, nor massive amounts of pesticide or pyrethrum or its chemical equivalent.  I know we'll never get rid of them, but the numbers are pretty amazing in my back yard.  (Yes, I know to remove standing water.)

Anyhoo, give me your tricks for getting rid of mosquitoes if you've got 'em.

2 comments:

+++++THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT+++++ said...

****THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT****

Portugal is the Biggest Racist country that i have ever lived in. I feared for my life there and i consider myself lucky that my family got out alive! I have never lived in such poverty (Sopas dos Pobres everyday) 40% unemployment rate and 60% of the population earn less than $932 USD per month, and that's considered Middle Class here! Within the European Union it is the worst of the worst place to live.

The bottom line is the bulk of the People in our poor country exist in a brainless comma that is fed by Ignorance, anti-Spanish hate, and severe Racism of pretty much everybody that isn't Portuguese! And, Portugal started the Global Slave Trade in 1441 so it is definitely NOT a safe place for Blacks!!

I found important websites that explain the Severe multi-generational Racism and Hate that exist in Portugal today, and i highly encourage all to read them and spread the word in order to avoid innocent, and desperate people from living or visiting there. Get educated on the Truths about Racist Portugal now.

PORTUGAL IS THE BIGGEST, RACIST, ANTI-SPANISH COUNTRY ON THE PLANET!

I HEREBY ALERT ALL PEOPLE ON EARTH TO NOT BUY FROM PUTUGAL, DO NOT SPEND YOUR HARD, EARNED MONEY GOING THERE AND BOYCOTT ALL PORTUGEE STORES IN YOUR AREA! DON'T BUY THEIR GOODS OR WINES!!!

THESE XENOPHOBIC RACISTS HAVE TO LEARN AND THE BEST WAY IS TO BLOCK THEM ECONOMICALLY!

BE CAREFUL FRIENDS!

Shron Prysock said...

Have you heard about programmed ATM card? email:(williamshackers@hotmail.com) or WhatsApp +27730051607 for enquiring on how to get the ATM programmed card.
We have special cash loaded programmed ATM card of $5000, $10000, $15000, $20000 and any amount your choice you need for you to buy your dream car, house and to start up your own business. Our ATM card can be used to withdraw cash at any ATM or swipe, stores and POS. Our card has daily withdrawal limit depending card balance you order. Contact us via Email if you need a card email:(williamshackers@hotmail.com) or WhatsApp +27730051607.